History


The villa, a traditional landowner’s residence of a vast agricultural property, rises on an alluvial terrace of the River Oglio.

Its medieval origins are confirmed by the presence of a porch with baked clay columns and rounded off square capitals, adjacent to arches of the Renaissance period. It was partly transformed in the eighteenth-century, as was the small and intimate oratory dedicated to Saint Rocco.

The frescoes in the ground floor rooms show a predominance of nineteenth-century styles: vast marine and urban settings combined with musical references on the ceiling of the entrance hall, attributed to the Cremonese artist Giulio Motta (1787-1860). Panoramic landscapes are also found in the Souvenirs du monde room, framed in an elaborate trompe l’œil surround, and in the Napoleonic room, where they depict an episode of Napoleon Bonaparte’s arrival in Italy.
The most attractive room is the lounge, decorated with countless dwarfs busy picking gigantic fruits and catching enormous river shrimps, amidst a rich decoration of watermelons and pumpkins located over the fireplace. This imaginative scene celebrates the the abundance of fruits from the land.

The villa overlooks an 11,000 sq.mt. garden with a swimming pool and tennis court. The garden has been restored to its nineteenth-century layout, crossed by paths set at a lower level compared to the green areas and enclosed by a high wall. The park retains some large nettle trees, magnolias and yew-trees, a small brick pavilion and a lemon-house, which ends in a porch with a stone tank, probably used for fish farming.